This saucy pork stew takes a little extra effort, but it's worth it. Serve over rice and add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of extra cilantro to the top.
Slow Cooker Braised Pork with Salsa Recipe
- Trim the visible fat from a 3-pound, boneless pork shoulder or butt.
- Cut into bite-size cubes, removing and discarding additional fat as you go.
- Rinse the pork pieces in cold water and place them into the slow cooker liner; turn the slow cooker to high to begin cooking the pork as you prepare the remaining ingredients.
In a sauce pan, combine:
- 1 1/2 cups of commercial tomatillo salsa (also called salsa verde or green salsa)
- 1 3/4 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 thinly-sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds or ground cumin
Bring this mixture to a boil over high heat, and then pour it over the pork in the slow cooker. Slice three plum tomatoes and gently stir them into the pork. Cover and cook on high for six to seven hours.
When the pork is tender enough to pull apart, spoon it into a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Cover it and keep it warm. Transfer the sauce and vegetables to a large skillet. Skim off and discard the fat, and then bring the sauce to a boil over high heat, removing any froth from time to time. Boil gently for about 20 minutes to thicken and intensify flavors.
Stir the cooked pork and a quarter cup of chopped cilantro into the sauce in the skillet. Heat through before serving, and then you're ready to enjoy!
- American Heart Association. American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook, 3rd Edition. New York: Clarkson Potter/Publishers, 2006.
- Bunn, Dawn Sabino, and Steve Kolich. "White Chicken Chili." Family recipe, revised 2010.
- EatingWell.com. "Barbeque Pulled Chicken." TLC Cooking. (Nov. 1, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/barbecue-pulled-chicken-recipe.htm
- EatingWell.com. "Slow-Cooker Braised Pork with Salsa." TLC Cooking. (Nov. 1, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/slow-cooker-braised-pork-salsa-recipe.htm
- Good, Phyllis Pellman, with American Diabetes Association. Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook. Intercourse, PA: Good Books, 2005.
- Kroger, Keith Bridge Commons, Cumming, GA. Product comparisons. (Oct. 28, 2010)
- Publix, Hammonds Crossing, Cumming, GA. Product comparisons. (Oct. 28, 2010)
- Shames, Tammy Lakatos, R.D., and Lyssie Lakatos, R.D. The Secret to Skinny: How Salt Makes You Fat and the 4-Week Plan to Drop a Size and Get Healthier with Simple Low-Sodium Swaps. Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications, Inc., 2009.
HowStuffWorks looks at the new FDA-mandated food nutrition labels.