Get the Right Equipment
You need good tools to build a good meal. Every chef worth his or her salt knows there are certain tools one can't live without. Here are the basics for a functional kitchen.
Remember, you don't need to buy all top-of-the-line equipment for your kitchen. However, one thing you should splurge for is a good knife. The right knife will last you many years. Choose a stainless steel chef's knife that fits your grip well and won't rust.
If you want to cook like a chef, you should also have the following on hand:
- Immersion blender (more convenient than a regular blender)
- Cheese grater/zester (look for a multi-surface tool)
- Skillets (regular and nonstick)
- Vegetable steamer
- Dutch oven
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Sturdy cookie sheets and cake pans
- Casserole dish (preferably glass)
- Tongs (to protect meat or fish when flipping)
- Thermometer (look for "instant-read")