Make no mistake, this isn't ordinary chili. Perhaps most appreciated for its subtle mole flavor, Three Bean Mole Chili is both hearty and nutritious. In fact, five ingredients are among the top power foods for their nutritional value. Chili often is made with sugar or other sweeteners. Not this one, whose flavor comes from a medley of spices. The small amount of pre-made mole paste required can easily be found in the ethnic food aisle of grocery stores or at specialty markets. This vegetarian meal can easily be adapted for meat eaters by simply adding bite-sized pieces of raw or precooked chicken or beef to the slow cooker along with the other ingredients. Just make sure the meat is cooked thoroughly before serving by checking a few pieces first.
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chili beans in spicy sauce, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Mexican or chili-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup beef, chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup prepared mole paste
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander (optional)
- Optional toppings: crushed tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese
Combine all ingredients (other than toppings) in slow cooker and mix well. Cover and cook on low five to six hours. Serve with desired toppings.