Not only is this blackened mahi mahi with mango salsa healthy, it's award winning, earning fourth place in Hunt's 2009 Best Meals, Best Moments recipe contest. The dish has plenty of stewed tomatoes, along with a number of seasonings: lime, garlic, cumin, cilantro, oregano, ginger, paprika, salt, pepper, ground black pepper and ground red pepper. Mango, red onion and jalapeño pepper add both sweetness and spice. With all of those ingredients, don't forget the most important one: the mahi mahi filets.
As you can see, stewed tomatoes can be just as at home in more exotic dishes as they are in traditional comfort foods like pastas. If you'd like to explore more tomato recipes and resources, keep reading for lots more information.
- American Cancer Society. "Lycopene." (Nov. 5, 2010) http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/DietandNutrition/lycopene
- BBC. "Tomato ingredients fight cancer." Nov. 5, 2003. (Nov. 5, 2010)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3239483.stm
- First, Devra. "Red menace: How the 'strange and horrible' tomato conquered Italy, and America." Boston Globe. Aug. 15, 2010. (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/08/15/red_menace/
- FruitsAndVeggiesMatter.gov. "Vegetable of the Month: Tomato." (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/month/tomato.html
- Hunts. Tomato User's Guide. (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.hunts.com/product_userguide.jsp
- Iowa Department of Public Health. "Featured Fruit: Tomato." (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.idph.state.ia.us/pickabettersnack/common/pdf/factsheets/tomato.pdf
- Mayo Clinic. "Mediterranean diet: Choose this heart-healthy diet option." June 19, 2010. (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011
- Penn State. "Tomatoes and Cancer." 2004. (Nov. 5, 2010)http://extension.psu.edu/HealthWellness/tomato/TOMATOfactsht.pdf
- Pennsylvania Nutrition. "What's so great about tomatoes?" (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.panen.org/sites/default/files/SNAC%20Materials/Tomato_Newsletter2.pdf
- Fisher Center for Alzheimer's Research Foundation. "Preserving Your Memory: The Latest News on Alzheimer's Disease and Brain Health." Summer 2009. (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.alzinfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PYM_Summer09.pdf
Fresh fish is full of good nutrients. But sushi can be good or bad depending on what you order. HowStuffWorks breaks it down.