Medications Don't Have a Significant Sodium Content
Indeed, sodium is in the foods we eat, but it's also in some of the medicines we take. Some over-the-counter cold medicines, pain relievers (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), laxatives and heartburn medicines contain sodium-based ingredients, increasing your daily sodium intake every time you reach for a bottle of antacid. Decongestants, in particular, can be hidden sources of sodium.
Be sure to read the ingredients list -- including the inactive ingredients -- and look for sodium-based ingredients such as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium propionate, sodium starch glycolate, sodium carbonate (or bicarbonate), sodium saccharine and sodium polyphosphate.
- American Health Association. "High Blood Pressure Statistics." 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4621
- American Heart Association. "Over-the-Counter Medications." July 26, 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure /PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Over-the-Counter- Medications_UCM_303245_Article.jsp
- American Heart Association. "Understanding Your Risk for High Blood Pressure." July 30, 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure /UnderstandYourRiskforHighBloodPressure/Understand-Your-Risk-for-High- Blood-Pressure_UCM_002052_Article.jsp
- General Mills Inc. "Cereals." 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.generalmills.com/Brands/Cereals/
- H.J. Heinz Company L.P. "Heinz Tomato Ketchup." 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.heinzketchup.com/Products.aspx
- Kellogg's NA Co. 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www2.kelloggs.com/
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Information and Research. "Sodium in medications: A concern if you have high blood pressure." Sept. 4, 2004. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.megaheart.com/pdf/sodiuminmedications.pdf
- Medical News Today. "Salt (sodium chloride), what it is and how it affects your health." Sept. 12, 2004. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/13273.php
- The Merck Manuals. "Sodium." August 2008. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec12/ch155/ch155m.html
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. "Sodium in diet." May 26, 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002415.htm
- Vantine, Julia. "Americans' Salt Intake Unchanged Over 50 years." U.S. News and World Report. Oct. 20, 2010. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/heart/articles/2010/10/20/americans-salt-intake-unchanged-over-50-years.html
- WebMD. "Salt Shockers Slideshow: High-Sodium Surprises." Nov. 17, 2008. (Oct. 28, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/diet/slideshow-salt-shockers
Chaga, cordyceps, lion's mane – the names are mysterious and magical, but does mushroom coffee have medicinal properties? HowStuffWorks takes a look.