What's the point of bicycling through wine country if you don't have the time of your life? You chose this out-of-the-ordinary trip for a reason, so keep those reasons in mind. Balance is as important to a cycling trip through wine country as it is to pairing wine and food.
You want to travel through wine country because you're interested in wine and love the scenery and climate of those beautiful areas. You chose to travel by bike because you like the outdoors and an active lifestyle. Don't let either set of goals interfere with the other. Don't feel that you have to prove yourself as a cyclist. Choose a trip that won't be a strain. This is a pleasure trip, not a competition.
But don't forget that you're traveling by bicycle. Use common sense. Don't overindulge in the wine (or the food that goes along with it). Practice basic safety. Stay hydrated. Dress properly. Sleep well. After all, this is all about enjoying yourself. Savor the experience -- as you would a glass of fine wine.
Keep reading for lots more information.
- Anderson, Jennifer. "Sip and clip this summer." Clackamas Review. (Accessed July 15, 2011) http://www.clackamasreview.com/sustainable/story.php?story_id=131016002377002100
- Bridge, Raymond. "Bike Touring: The Sierra Club Guide to Travel on Two Wheels."
- Carolina Tailwinds. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Accessed July 20, 2011) http://www.carolinatailwinds.com/winetour.htm
- Detours in France. "Self-Guided Biking." (Accessed July 18, 2011) http://www.detours-in-france.com/france-bike-tour.html
- DuVine Adventures. "How to Get There and What to Bring." (Accessed July 21, 2011) http://www.duvine.com/bike-tour-tips/how-to-get-there-and-what-to-bring.htm
- DuVine Adventures. "Mendoza Bike Tour." (Accessed July 20, 2011) http://www.duvine.com/argentina-bike-tour.html?gclid=CJDbyv7gkqoCFUvCKgod_SmNxg
- Fifty and Nifty. "Take a Cycle Holiday through Wine Country." (Accessed July 15, 2011) http://titan.websitewelcome.com/~andnifty/sport-and-leisure/take-a-cycle-holiday-through-wine-country-44
- Furia, Emily and the editors of Bicycling Magazine. "The Big Book of Bicycling." Rodale. New York, 2011.
- Lifecycle Adventures. "Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley Wine Country Bike Tours." (Accessed July 17, 2011) http://www.lifecycleadventures.com/destinations/napa-sonoma-valley-bike-tours/
- Mann, Jean. "Cycling in Wine Country, Oregon." (Accessed July 15, 2011) http://traveltips.usatoday.com/cycling-wine-country-oregon-34755.html
- Napa Valley Bike Tours. "Biking the Cabernet Trail: Stags Leap District Bike Tour." (Accessed July 16, 2011) http://napavalleybiketours.com/tours/stagsleapdistrictbiketour/index.html
- Oregon Wines of Distinction. "Press Releases and News." (Accessed July 19, 2011) http://www.eolahillswinery.com/cycle_oregon_bike_wine_country_press.html
- Wine Country Bikes. "Wine Country Bikes Touring Center." (Accessed July 19, 2011) http://www.winecountrybikes.com/
- Wine Trails NW. "Travel Tips." (Accessed July 19, 2011) http://www.winetrailsnw.com/travel-tips/sip-and-cycle
- Wines of NZ. "Wine Regions." (Accessed July 18, 2011) http://www.winesofnz.com/Regions.aspx
- Wine Tours by Bike. "Wine Tours by Bike." (Accessed July 17, 2011) http://www.winetoursbybike.co.nz/
- Virginia Bicycling Adventures. "Virginia Bicycling Adventures." (Accessed July 17, 2011)http://www.virginiabicycling.com/tour-self-guided.htm
Are you looking for tips for great adventures in wine country? Check out this article and learn 10 tips for great adventures in wine country.