Key Lime Pie
Key lime pie is typically rich and creamy. This version uses fat-free dairy and a butter substitute to cut some of the fat. It's a perfect dessert that will always remind you of summer. The recipe makes 10 servings, at 235 calories apiece.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a 9-inch glass pie plate, combine:
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil spread
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
When the mixture is moistened, press it into the bottom and sides of your pie plate by hand. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, and then cool.
Add 1/3 cup cold water to a 1-quart saucepan. Add one envelope of unflavored gelatin, and let stand for two minutes. Then cook the mixture on low until the gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat.
Next, take 22 Key limes (or 4 to 5 regular limes) and squeeze 1/2 cup of juice. If you're using regular limes, you can also grate 2 teaspoons of the lime zest. In a bowl, whisk together:
- Lime juice (and zest)
- 1 14-ounce can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain fat-free yogurt
- Gelatin mixture
Spoon the filling into your crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours to set.
Check out the links below to find out more about healthy, low-calorie eating.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "Baked Maple Custards." Better Homes and Gardens. 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://www.bhg.com/recipe/desserts/baked-maple-custards/
- "Caramel Popcorn." FitnessMagazine.com. 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/desserts/low-calorie/low-calorie-dessert-recipes/?page=8
- Davis, Jaimie. "Cut That: Simple Ways to Slash Sugar." Disney Family Food. 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://family.go.com/food/pkg-healthy-families/article-561064-reducing-sugar-t/
- Durand, Faith. "How to Make Creamy Ice Cream with Just One Ingredient!" The Kitchn. Aug. 19, 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414
- "Food Facts A-Z: Banana." Dole Nutrition Institute. 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://www.dolenutrition.com/Facts_ae.aspx
- "Healthy Key Lime Pie." Good Housekeeping. 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/healthy-key-lime-pie
- "Tips on How to Make Healthier Meals." National Heart Lung & Blood Institute. 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/h_eating/tips.htm
- "Vegan Low Fat Chocolate Applesauce Cake." SparkRecipes.com. 2009. (Aug. 31, 2009) http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=222859
The Shamrock Shake is legendary at McDonald's and now it's celebrating 50 years. We're spilling everything to know about this fab milkshake.