One of the most obvious -- and tastiest -- uses of honey is in sweets. Cookies and cakes lend themselves beautifully to the ultra-sweet taste and gooey texture of honey.
Honey is even sweeter than sugar, and it has its own unique flavor. There are loads of recipes that call specifically for honey as the main sweetener instead of white sugar, which is especially appealing to those looking for a more natural sweetener in their baked desserts.
Don't think you have to set aside your favorite recipes if you want to get the honey in there, though. You can experiment with honey as a substitute: For each cup of sugar in the recipe, use 3/4 cup plus one tablespoon of honey. Keep a close eye on baking time, because honey-based sweets will often brown faster than sugar-based ones. The result won't taste exactly the same as the original recipe, but you may find you love the new angle on an old favorite.
- Adams, Cecil. "Is Honey Really Bee Vomit?" StraightDope.com. 1992. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1072/is-honey-really-bee-vomit
- "Basic Mead Recipe" Epicurious.com. 2000. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Basic-Mead-201058
- "Baking with Sugar and Sugar Substitutes." All Recipes. (Dec. 30, 2011) http://allrecipes.com/howto/baking-with-sugar-and-sugar-substitutes/
- Brown, Alton. "Honey Butter Recipe" FoodNetwork.com. 2004. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/honey-butter-recipe/index.html
- "Honey and Cooking" HoneyAssociation.com. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://www.honeyassociation.com/ath.htm
- "Dark Honey Has More Illness-Fighting Agents Than Light Honey." Science Daily. July 8, 1998. (Dec. 30, 2011) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/07/980708085352.htm
- "Honeyed Challah Recipe" IsraeliKitchen.com. 2008. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://www.israelikitchen.com/home-bakery/honeyed-challah-recipe/
- Kalif, Will. "The Fastest, Easiest, and Cheapest Way to Make Some Mead." StormTheCastle.com. 2009. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/fast-cheap-mead-making.htm
- Leech-Black, Sarah. "Hey There, Hot Toddy" WeeklyDig.com. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://www.weeklydig.com/department-commerce/eats-drinks/drinks/200801/hey-there-hot-toddy
- Nazario, Brunilda. "Natural Cold & Flu Remedies Slideshow" Women.WebMD.com. 2009. (Aug. 26, 2010) http://women.webmd.com/family-health-9/slideshow-natural-cold-and-flu-remedies
Scientists dive into the physics of getting ketchup out of the bottle without making a mess. Learn more about non-Newtonian fluids at HowStuffWorks.