Stay on budget and impress your guests with phyllo cups, miniature pies made with the same thin dough you sink your teeth into when you chew baklava. Fill phyllo cups with vegetable-cheese combinations, meat or fruit -- just about everything tastes good baked in phyllo dough. Following the guidelines in these Spinach Cheese Appetizers recipes, you can whip up mini spanakopita or tiropita in no time. Using the same dough, you can create a Spinach Phyllo Bundle.
Apricot and Toasted Almond Phyllo Cups make delicious sweet hors d'ouevres. If you're not ready to venture into preparing flaky pastry dough from scratch, keep in mind that the store-bought frozen phyllo dough works just fine.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Adria, Ferran. "Toasted Bread and Bittersweet Chocolate." Food and Wine. (Dec. 9, 2009).http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/toasted-bread-and-bittersweet-chocolate
- British Cheese Board. "How to Enjoy Cheese at Its Best." (Dec. 5, 2009).http://www.britishcheese.com/enjoy_cheese
- Cowie, Colin. "Green and White Crudite Platter." (Dec. 5, 2009).http://www.colincowie.com/recipe/green-and-white-crudite-platter
- Food Network. "Crudite Platter."(Dec. 5, 2009).http://www.hgtv.com/holidays-entertaining/crudite-platter/index.html
- Hoyt, Alia. "5 Scrumptious Thanksgiving Appetizers." (Dec. 5, 2009).https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus/5-scrumptious-thanksgiving-appetizers.htm
- Lagasse, Emeril. "Dirty Martini with Blue Cheese-Almond Stuffed Olives." (Dec. 9, 2009).http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/dirty-martini-with-blue-cheese-almond-stuffed-olives-recipe/index.html
- Martha Stewart. "Make Crudites." (Dec.5, 2009).http://www.marthastewart.com/article/make-crudites
- Martha Stewart. "Parmesan Puff Pastry Straws." (Dec.5, 2009).http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/parmesan-puff-pastry-straws
- Martha Stewart. "Phyllo Dough." (Dec. 5, 2009).http://www.marthastewart.com/article/making-phyllo-dough
- Pillsbury. "Asiago Cheese Straws." (Dec.5, 2009).http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=42027
- Toothman, Jessika. "5 Holiday Cooking Tips: How to Save Money and Time." (Dec. 9, 2009). https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus/5-holiday-cooking-tips.htm
If you love history and cookies, you might want to try this ancient twist on the gingerbread cookie. Learn more at HowStuffWorks Now.