Yield: 6 servings
Saving money doesn't mean skipping dessert -- although this sweet casserole could work as a side dish, too. A large bag of carrots will provide low-cost, versatile beta-carotene for many meals to come, and if you make this in the fall you'll be able to get the apples on the extra-cheap.
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 large apples, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook carrots in boiling water in large saucepan 5 minutes; drain. Layer carrots and apples in large casserole.
- Combine flour, brown sugar and nutmeg in small bowl; sprinkle over top. Dot with butter; pour orange juice over flour mixture. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. Bake 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
(For nutritional information, see TLC Cooking.)
You'd be amazed how much a casserole can switch up the taste of a single ingredient, so it's a perfect dinner approach to using up a money-saving bulk purchase. Whether it's veggie or meat, main dish or side, savory or sweet, a casserole is going to stretch your food budget deliciously -- and turn your clean-up into a five-minute ordeal that leaves you lots of extra time for brainstorming new and different ways to stretch a paycheck.
For more information on budgeting and cooking (and even more wallet-friendly recipes), look over the links below.
More Great Links
- Casserole. Dictionary.com. (Oct. 10, 2011) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/casserole
- Enna, Renee. "A casserole makes history." The Chicago Tribune. Dec. 4, 2002. (Oct. 10, 2011) http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-12-04/entertainment/0212040115_1_casserole-potlucks-and-picnics-cream-of-mushroom-soup
- Casserole. Food Encyclopedia. Kitchen Daily. (Oct. 10, 2011) http://www.kitchendaily.com/encyclopedia/definition/casserole/450/
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.