Green Chili Mac and Cheese
Here's a tasty slow cooker dish that you don't have to wait all day to finish cooking. Great for the main course or a side dish, Green Chili Mac and Cheese is a creative adaptation of a comfort food staple. Although it's a souped-up, more gourmet version, kids are likely to enjoy it, too. Even if you don't care for spicy, hot foods, you'll probably like this dish because it's so mild. Feel free to substitute cheeses listed as ingredients with your favorite kinds, but keep in mind softer, creamier cheeses melt better.
- 6 cups of cooked macaroni or pasta shells
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
- 4 cups evaporated milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 can (7 oz.) of diced green chilies
- 1 Tbs. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Optional topping: bread crumbs
In a bowl, toss macaroni with butter. Stir in evaporated milk, cheese, green chilies, red pepper flakes, salt, red chili powder and black pepper. Pour into slow cooker, cover and cook on high two to three hours. Dish up and sprinkle bread crumbs on top for garnish. Makes six to eight servings.