Wines are made from grapes and beer comes from barley, so you shouldn't have to worry about the type of alcohol that you serve to your vegan guests, right? Wrong. It's not what's in the beverages that gives vegans pause; it's how they are made. To make sure no one will have sour grapes, you need to know a little bit about the drinks you plan to serve.
True vegans have to think about the fact that many products brewmasters and winemakers use to make alcohol use animal-derived materials like isinglass (made from fish bladders) and egg whites. These products help filter the grape skins and stems and remove the yeast used in the fermentation process. As you know, these types of ingredients are taboo to vegans. Vegan wine is made without the use of animal-derived products to help the filtration process.
Oftentimes, ingredients used to make alcohol don't show up on the labels you read while shopping at your local grocery store. So it's incumbent upon vegans -- and you as the party host -- to do research prior to purchasing. One easy way is to choose wines and beers recommended on vegan-friendly Web sites. The Vegan Wine Guide Web site has an extensive list, including Asda Californian Zinfadel and Mumm Cuvee Napa Brut. (For beer and liquor, also try the Barnivore Web site). Or you can search for labels known to cater to vegans. For instance, Frey Vineyards notes on its Web site that all its organic wines are vegan-friendly.
- Allrecipes. "Pumpkin Tart with Pecan Crust". Allrecipes.com. (July 25, 2011). http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-tart-with-pecan-crust/detail.aspx
- Allrecipes. "Triple Chocolate Tofu Brownies". Allrecipes.com. (July 25, 2011). http://allrecipes.com/recipe/triple-chocolate-tofu-brownies/detail.aspx
- Brougham, Rachel. "Going Vegan: News-Reviewer Reporter Embarks on a New Lifestyle Journey." Petoskey News-Review. July 5, 2001. (July 18, 2011) http://articles.petoskeynews.com/2011-07-05/vegan_29741228
- Chowhound. "Vegetarian Dinner Party Menu that Carnivores with love?" (July 25, 2011) "http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/455951
- Mercy for Animals. "Fried Spaghetti". Chooseveg.com. (July 25, 2011) http://www.chooseveg.com/display_recipe.asp?recipe=372
- Mercy for Animals. "Shepherd's Pie". Chooseveg.com. (July 25, 2011) http://www.chooseveg.com/display_recipe.asp?recipe=212
- Pope, Gabrielle. "Vegan Holiday Drinks." Veg News (July 18, 2011) http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=2787&catId=7
- The Vegetarian Resource Group. "Veganism in a Nutshell." (July 14, 2011) http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm#common
- Veg News. "Vegan Holiday Drinks." (July 20, 2011) http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632
- Vegan Action. "About Veganism". (July 14, 2011) http://www.vegan.org/about_veganism/index.html
- Vegan Action. "Going Vegan". (July 14, 2011) http://www.vegan.org/going_vegan/eating_vegan/index.html#1
- Vegans Are From Mars. "Vegan Wine Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)". (July 18, 2011) http://vegans.frommars.org/wine/faq.php#1
- Vegan Wine Guide. Vegans.frommars.org (July 25, 2011).
- Vegweb.com(July 14, 2011) http://vegweb.com/
- Vegworld. "Cashews and Mushroom Roast". Vegworld.com. (July 25, 2011). http://www.veg-world.com/recipes/cashew-mushroom.htm
- Wilkes-Johnson, Shirley and Ben Johnson. "Vegan Wines & Other Alcoholic Beverages." Vegetarians in Paradise. May 1, 2006. (July 18, 2011) http://www.vegparadise.com/news62.html
- Zelman, Katherine. "Get the Facts about Vegetarian Diets." WebMD. (July 18, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/get-the-facts-about-vegetarian-diets