Fried, Baked, Poached, and Soft-Boiled Eggs
To cook fried eggs:
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or margarine over medium heat in a 7- to 8-inch skillet until hot, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Break 2 eggs into the pan. Cook, uncovered, 2 to 4 minutes, basting frequently with butter. Or, cover and cook 2 to 4 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Break 2 eggs and gently slip them into a greased ramekin, shallow baking dish, or 10-ounce custard cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon milk, light cream, or half and half over the eggs.
- Bake 12 to 18 minutes or until all the egg whites are set and the yolks are thickened.
- Bring 2 to 3 inches of water, milk, broth, or other liquid to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat to keep the liquid at a simmer.
- Break 1 egg into a small dish or custard cup. Holding the dish close to the surface of the water, carefully slip the egg into the water. Repeat with 1 more egg.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until the yolks are just set. Remove the eggs from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Place the eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch.
Cover eggs with cold
water in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat so the water is just below simmering. Cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes, depending on desired doneness.
- Remove from the heat and drain. Immediately run cold water over the eggs until cool enough to handle.
- To serve out of the shell, break the shell through the middle with a small knife. With a teaspoon, scoop the egg out of each shell half into a serving dish.
- To serve in an egg cup, place the egg in the egg cup, small end down. Slice off the large end of the egg with a small knife or egg scissors and eat right from shell with a spoon.
Want more information? Try these:
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.
- Egg Recipes: Who knew there were so many different ways to prepare eggs? You'll find some delicious varieties on our Egg Recipes page.
- Breakfast Recipes: Start the morning off right with these scrumptious breakfast options.