Q. What's the Difference between biscuits and scones?
A. Biscuits and scones are pretty similar but there are subtle differences that set them apart. Think you can tell what is what? Check out these facts about biscuits and scones:
- Both are quick breads leavened with baking soda or baking powder.
- Each uses the same basic technique of cutting fat into flour to create a dough.
- Scones are often sweeter and richer, although biscuits can be sweet and scones savory.
- Scones are often cut into triangles; biscuits are usually round.
- Biscuits are often associated with the southern United States; scones are Scottish.
- Biscuits are served as a side dish with breakfast or dinner, while scones are more likely to be served with tea, for brunch or as a base for dessert sauce.
- Both are best eaten hot from the oven.