I scream, you scream, we all scream for this quintessential summer food. Ice cream is a snack tailor-made for summer. A frozen confection of milk, sugar, fruit and other ingredients, one walk down the freezer aisle will have your head spinning at all the flavors available. Fortunately, there are even non-dairy ice cream options such as soy or rice milk ice cream for the lactose intolerant.
By the pint or gallon, in a cup or cone, with sprinkles or hot fudge, everyone loves ice cream, and it's easy to make at home. You can find an array of ice cream makers and gadgets that are fairly inexpensive and can be used by the whole family.
The best part of ice cream in summer? Jumping into the pool after slurping down a bowl or cone! Be sure you eat that sweet treat fast -- it'll melt before you can say "make mine chocolate!"
- ABC News. "Summer Myth Busters: Find Out the Facts." Good Morning America. July 4, 2007. (May 12, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/SummerSizzle/story?id=3338075&page=1
- All Recipes. "How to Make a Healthy Smoothie." (May 9, 2011)http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/making-a-healthy-smoothie-video/Detail.aspx
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Fruit and Vegetable Benefits." (May 10, 2011) http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/benefits/index.html
- Demaria, Linda. "Three Pepper Pasta Salad." All Recipes. (May 7, 2011)http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Three-Pepper-Pasta-Salad/Detail.aspx
- Hendry, Erica R. "Drink up as summer heats up to avoid dehydration, heat stroke." USA Today. July 3, 2008. (May 7, 2011)http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-07-02-dehydration-main_N.htm
- Hostetter, Kristin and Susan Newquist. "The Great Gorp Contest." Backpacker. May, 2001. (May 8, 2011)http://www.backpacker.com/may_2001_food_reader_gorp_recipes/skills/2046
- Nick Junior. "Fruit Kabobs With Yogurt Dip." Nick Jr. (May 11, 2011)http://www.nickjr.com/recipes/fruit-kabobs-with-yogurt-dip.jhtml
- Popsicle. "The Popsicle Story." (May 11, 2011)http://www.popsicle.com/The-Popsicle-Story.aspx
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service."Foodborne Illness & Disease." Dec. 9, 2010. (May 16, 2011)http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Foodborne_Illness_Peaks_in_Summer/index.asp
Do you know the carbon footprint of that chocolate bar you're craving? Take a look with HowStuffWorks.