Pita bread has the distinction of being the sandwich-maker's best friend. The baking process produces an ingenious cavity that's sealed around the edges. It's perfect for stuffing. If you've ever paid a nasty dry cleaning bill because your sandwich decided to deconstruct itself all over your best suit coat, the advantages of pocket bread, another term for a pita, should be obvious.
Careful, though. There are leavened and unleavened pita breads, so check the label or the recipe to know what you're getting.
The secret to creating traditional pita bread is high heat during the cooking process that produces a super-fast burst of steam inside the dough. The steam forms a hollow and the rest is, well, lunch.
- Alden, Lori. "Flatbread." The Cooks Thesaurus. 2005. 2/11/10.http://www.foodsubs.com/Flatbread.html
- BestBreadRecipes.com. "Web's Best Recipe Pita Bread." Undated. 2/14/10.http://www.best-bread-recipes.com/recipe-pita-bread.html
- ChefsBest.com "Pita Bread." Undated. 2/14/10.http://www.chefsbest.org/pita-bread-award-winner-2405.htm
- Cogiq.org. "Recipes Suitable for the Days of Unleavened Bread." Undated. 2/12/10.http://www.cogiw.org/unleavenedrecipes.htm
- Davidson, Alan. "The Oxford Companion to Food." Oxford University Press. 1999.
- Flatbread. "Information about Flatbread." Undated. 2/11/10.http://flatbread.oo.vg/
- FoodTimeline.com "Bread, Beer & Yeast." Undated. 2/13/2010.http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodbreads.html
- Italian Food Forever. "Piadina Bread." 5/28/08. 2/12/10.http://www.italianfoodforever.com/iff2008/index.php?view=article&catid=47:cbreads&id=91:piadinabread&option=com_content&Itemid=65
- Mexico Adventure. "Mexican Food Gorditas History." Undated. 2/12/10.http://www.mexicoadventure.com/mexican-food/mexican-food-types/mexican-gorditas.html
- Piadina USA. "What is Piadina?" Undated. 2/12/10.http://www.piadinamiausa.com/
- Search.com. "Flatbread." Undated. 2/10/10.http://www.search.com/reference/Flatbread
- Search.com. "Lefse." Undated. 2/10/10.http://www.search.com/reference/Lefse
- Search.com. "Paratha." Undated. 2/10/10.http://www.search.com/reference/Paratha
- Wheat Foods Council. "Grains of Truth About Flat Breads." 2005. 2/10/10.http://www.ndwheat.com/uploads%5Cresources%5C408%5Cflatbreads.pdf
Sourdough starter — once you start it, you have to keep feeding it. HowStuffWorks takes a look at why.