Tartines, or light open-faced sandwiches, are a staple of French cuisine. In this dish, a variety of textures and flavors combine to make a pleasing little appetizer or snack. Ambitious cooks might like to make their own olive tapenade; there a tons of variations to suit every palate.
- 12 baguette slices, each 1/2 inch thick
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and cut into quarter-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons julienned sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 tablespoon torn fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon Sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bottled black olive tapenade
- 8 ounces soft mild goat cheese, cut into half-inch slices
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush one side of the baguette slices with olive oil and arrange them, oiled sides up, on a baking sheet. Once oven is preheated, toast the bread on the center rack until golden brown on top (about 7 minutes). Transfer to a rack for cooling. Keep the oven on.
- Combine the fresh tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, vinegar and half tablespoon olive oil.
- Spread the tapenade on each piece of toast, top with a slice of goat cheese, and finish with a rounded teaspoon of the tomato mixture. Re-position the tartines on the baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with about a half tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake the tartines on the center rack until the cheese is soft (about 5 minutes). Once the tartines are plated, finish with a final drizzle of olive oil.
- Bon Appétit.com. "How to Toast Pine Nuts." (Nov. 9, 2010)http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/tips/2008/04/how_to_toast_pine_nuts
- Bon Appétit Magazine. "Linguine with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto. July 1994. (Nov. 9, 2010)http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Linguine-with-Sun-Dried-Tomato-Pesto-2132
- Gourmet Magazine. "Goat Cheese and Sun-dried Tomato Tartines." October 2001. (Nov. 10, 2010)http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Goat-Cheese-and-Sun-Dried-Tomato-Tartines-105579
- Gourmet Magazine. "Sun-dried Tomato Risotto." April 1992. (Nov. 10, 2010)http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sun-Dried-Tomato-Risotto-11756
- Kokopelli's Kitchen. "Sun-dried Tomato Facts." (Nov. 7, 2010)http://www.kokopelliskitchen.com/pages/Sun%252dDried-Tomato-Facts.html
- Martha Stewart.com. "Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun-dried Tomatoes." March 2009. (Nov. 7, 2010)http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/baked-penne-with-chicken-and-sun-dried-tomatoes
- Parisi, Grace. "Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Soup with Cheese Panini Recipe." Food and Wine. (Nov. 8, 2010)http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/creamy-sun-dried-tomato-soup-with-cheese-panini
- Real Simple. "Sun-dried Tomatoes." (Nov. 7, 2010)http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/ingredients-guide/sun-dried-tomatoes-00000000039376/index.html
HowStuffWorks looks at the composition of coconut oil and whether it has any health benefits.