Spicy Hot Chocolate
The Mayans drank their hot chocolate with chili powder instead of sugar. The addition of the red pepper flavor steeped in matches the sweetness of the missing sugar, but provides a better taste complement to the chili powder.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- Pour milk into a medium saucepan and heat milk until hot, but not boiling.
- Add chopped chocolate and sugar, stirring until it's blended well.
- Add cinnamon, chili powder and red pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Remove red pepper strips and pour into mugs.