The Mayans drank their hot chocolate with chili powder instead of sugar. The addition of the red pepper flavor steeped in matches the sweetness of the missing sugar, but provides a better taste complement to the chili powder.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- Pour milk into a medium saucepan and heat milk until hot, but not boiling.
- Add chopped chocolate and sugar, stirring until it's blended well.
- Add cinnamon, chili powder and red pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Remove red pepper strips and pour into mugs.