Who says that meat-eaters get to have all the fun? In this recipe, lentils are a capable meat substitute, due to their dense texture and hearty consistency. The addition of oats to the lentils provides a complete protein, which is important in a vegetarian diet.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 1/2 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Boil water and add lentils. Simmer covered 25 to 30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of the water has evaporated.
- Drain and partially mash lentils, then scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
- Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spray loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and spoon mixture into pan. Smooth top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176.6 degrees Celsius) for 30 to 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
- Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.