Fruit is a natural accompaniment to outdoor dining. It makes a refreshing side dish and dessert, too. When you're exploring your produce department for likely fruit salad ingredients, expand your horizons. Grab some strawberries, of course, but check out the kiwis, star fruit and mangos, too. Your fruit salad can be a sweet surprise, if you let it. To get you started, we love these refreshing salads. They make use of surprising sauces that show the fruits to advantage:
- Bittman, Mark. "101 20-Minute Dishes for Inspired Picnics." New York Times. 7/2/08. 3/16/10.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/dining/02mini.html
- CDC. "Eat a Variety of Fruits and Vegetables Every Day." Undated. 3/16/10.http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/index.html
- Celebrations.com. "Picnic Ideas." Undated. 3/16/10.http://www.celebrations.com/Picnic
- Davidson, Alan. "The Oxford Companion to Food. Oxford University Press. 1999.
- Food Network. "Picnic Recipes and Tips." Undated. 3/15/10.http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-cooking/picnic-recipes-and-tips/index.html
- Kennedy, Kimberly. "The Art and Craft of Entertaining." Atria Books. 2005.
- LovingYou.com. "Romantic Picnic Foods." Undated. 3/16/10.http://holidays.lovingyou.com/summer/picnicfoods.shtml
- National Pasta Association. "Pasta Shapes." Undated. 3/16/10.http://www.ilovepasta.org/shapes.html
- Nims, Cynthia. "Perfect Picnics." MSNBC. 5/27/05. 3/16/10.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7956912/
- PicnicSite.com. "Plan the Perfect Picnic Menu." Undated. 3/15/10.http://www.the-picnic-site.com/picnic-menu.html
- Serious Eats. "Perfect Picnic Food." 4/13/09. 3/15/10.http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2009/04/perfect-picnic-food.html
- Smith, S.E. "What are Some Good Foods to Take on a Picnic?" Wisegeek. 12/3/09. 3/14/10.http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-good-foods-to-take-on-a-picnic.htm
Here is a delightful dish for a Fall harvest dinner party; Jim Deliman's carrot saffron soup recipe. Learn how to make Jim Deliman's carrot saffron soup.