Ensuring Good Health
Sure, lemonade's nice, but what many people don't know is how good lemon water (lemonade sans the sugar) is for you. Lemon water provides a natural, tasty cure for many common ailments. For example, you can relieve a sore throat by gargling lemon water for one minute, three times a day. It also works to purify your kidneys, liver and blood [source: Wellsphere].
Like tea, lemon water can be especially therapeutic if you drink it while it's hot. Warm or hot lemon water does wonders for the digestive system and will help ease nausea, heartburn, diarrhea and constipation. If you drink it first thing in the morning, it will help flush out your digestive and circulatory systems, not to mention your bowels. Heck, it'll even help purge your gut of any parasites you might have floating around down there [source: Wellsphere].
- Bates, R. P. "The Retardation of Enzymatic Browning in Avocado Puree and Guacamole." Florida Agricultural Experiment Stations Journal. 1968. (June 23, 2009).http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/FSHSP/FSHSP_VOL_81_PG_230-235_1968.pdf
- BBC. "Lemon Tea Fights Skin Cancer." Aug. 24, 2001. (June 24, 2009).http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1504069.stm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "Sodium." April 7, 2009. (June 24, 2009).http://www.cdc.gov/DHDSP/library/sodium.htm
- DIY Network. "Multi-Uses for Lemons." 2009. (June 19, 2009).http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lc_fruit/article/0,2041,DIY_14004_2272948,00.html
- Goettel, Diane. "What is Gremolata?" wiseGEEK. 2009. (June 19, 2009).http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-gremolata.htm
- Readers Digest. "Lemons: Discover this Popular Fruit's 34 Clever Uses." 2009. (June 19, 2009).http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/extraordinary-uses-for-lemons/article23881.html
- RedOrbit. "Herbs, Spices and Lemon Juice Can Replace Salt Habit." Jan. 16, 2008. (June 24, 2009).http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1217677/herbs_spices_and_lemon_juice_can_replace_salt_habit/index.html
- Smith, S. E. "What is Lemon Zest?" wiseGeek. 2009. (June 19, 2009).http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lemon-zest.htm
- Stanford Medicine. "Causes of Skin Cancer." 2009. (June 24, 2009).http://cancer.stanford.edu/skincancer/skin/causes/
- Wojcik, Susan J., M.D. "Good Mornings with Lemon Water." Wellsphere. Oct. 7, 2008. (June 24, 2009).http://www.wellsphere.com/complementary-alternative-medicine-article/good-mornings-with-lemon-water/414235
Those leftover cheese rinds can be valuable ingredients that you can harness into new recipes. We'll show you ways to use them as flavor enhancers.