Slightly elevated breakfast dishes coupled with the leisurely start time of an early lunch make brunch a popular option not only when dining out on the weekends, but also when eating in at home.
From savory egg dishes, potatoes, meats, and salads, to sweets like coffee cakes, waffles, fruit, and pastries, the possibilities for an enticing brunch menu are broad.
Although more time-consuming to prepare than the typical eat-and-go breakfast, there are plenty of prepared items that can be used to speed up cooking time.
Here are some ideas for simplifying brunch :
Frozen pie crusts and puff pastry
- Perfect for the quintessential brunch dish of quiche. Simply fill pre-baked crusts with a mixture of beaten eggs, half-and-half or heavy cream, and your favorite cut-up vegetables or meats and bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
- Fill baked, cooled pie crusts with a layer of instant pudding or custard and sliced fruits for a simple fruit tart.
- Cut puff pastry into squares large enough to cover bottoms and sides of individual cups in a muffin pan. Brush pastry lightly with a mixture of egg and milk, and bake according to package directions. Fill cooled pastry cups with a mixture of scrambled eggs, grated Cheddar or Swiss cheese, and crumbled breakfast sausage or bacon.
- To make quick Swiss Rosti-style potatoes, combine frozen hash browns or O'Brien-style potatoes with fresh or frozen chopped onions, grated zucchini, and shredded cheese. Press into a single layer in a skillet, and cook until browned on both sides, turning once, or cook in an electric grilling machine.
- Toast bread slices, spread with dill-flavored cream cheese, and top with thinly sliced smoked salmon. Cut into triangles and garnish with lemon wedges, dill sprigs, and capers.
- Incorporate cut-up pieces of smoked salmon, along with small cubes of cream cheese and sliced sun-dried tomato, into your favorite frittata or omelet.
Canned pie fillings
- Use any variety to top waffles and pancakes.
- Dice larger fruit pieces and incorporate them into a simple muffin recipe.
Berries make a great addition to brunch. Visit the following page, which talks all about berries.