How to Make Homemade Pasta by Hand
- Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt on pastry board, culling board, or countertop; make well in center. Whisk 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon milk, and1 teaspoon olive oil in small bowl until well blended; gradually pour into well in flour mixture while mixing with fork or fingertips to form ball of dough.
Gradually add the mixture to the
flour to make a ball of dough.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. To knead dough, fold dough in half toward you and press dough away from you with heels of hands. Give dough a quarter turn and continue folding, pushing, and turning. Continue kneading 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour to prevent sticking if necessary. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; let stand 15 minutes.
Knead the dough until it becomes
smooth and elastic.
- Unwrap dough and knead briefly (as described in step 2) on lightly floured surface. Using lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/8-inch-thick circle on lightly floured surface. Gently pick up dough circle with both hands. Hold it up to the light to check for places where dough is too thick. Return to board; even out any thick spots. Let rest until dough is slightly dry but can be handled without breaking.
- Lightly flour dough circle; roll loosely on rolling pin.
Loosely roll the dough on a rolling pin.
- Slide rolling pin out; press dough roll gently with hand and cut into strips of desired width with sharp knife. Carefully unfold strips.
Cut the dough into strips of desired width.
- Pasta can be dried and stored at this point. Hang strips over pasta rack or clean broom handle covered with plastic wrap and propped between two chairs. Dry at least 3 hours; store in airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days. To serve, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water 3 to 4 minutes just until al dente. Drain well.
Dry the pasta using a drying rack.
Want more information? Try these:
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.
- Italian Cooking: Italian cuisine is not just spaghetti and meatballs. Learn all about Italian cooking in this article.
- Italian Recipes: You're sure to work up an appetite when you take a look at the Italian recipes featured here.
- Pasta Recipes: Our collection of pasta recipes offer excellent ideas for an authentic Italian pasta meal.