Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a cookie sheet. Mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until you get fine crumbs; a food processor works best for achieving this consistency. Place mixture in large bowl, and add cranberries and raisins.
Beat milk and egg with a fork, and add milk and egg mixture to flour mixture; stir with fork until moistened.
Drop 12 heaping spoonfuls, 2 inches (5.08 centimeters) apart onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake 13 minutes or until golden. Cool on rack.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "Amish White Bread." Tammysrecipes.com http://www.tammysrecipes.com/amish_white_bread
- "Drop Scones." Recipezaar.com http://www.recipezaar.com/Drop-Scones-So-Easy-23617
- "Easy Bread Recipe." Angelsingmygarden.blogspot.com. http://angelsinmygarden.blogspot.com/2009/04/easy-bread-recipe-or-rolls-and-cinnamon.html
- "Easy No Knead Crusty Bread." Motherearthnews.com. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-12-01/Easy-No-Knead-Dutch-Oven-Crusty-Bread.aspx?page=2
- "Extra Moist Banana Bread." Cooks.com. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,194,154176-244194,00.html
- "Gluten Free." Cookingbread.com http://www.cookingbread.com/gluten_free.html
- "Homemade English Muffins." Countryliving.com http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/homemade-english-muffins-3873
- "Our Daily Bread in a Crock - Weekly Make and Bake Rustic Bread." Recipezaar.com http://www.recipezaar.com/Our-Daily-Bread-in-a-Crock-Weekly-Make-and-Bake-Rustic-Bread-340621
- "Peggy's Easy Bread Recipe." Thesimplewoman.blogspot.com http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/2008/03/peggys-easy-bread-recipe.html
- "Sweet Potato Biscuits." Countryliving.com http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/sweet-potato-biscuits-2994
Sourdough starter — once you start it, you have to keep feeding it. HowStuffWorks takes a look at why.