A dusting of spices can do far more than add flavor to your food. They can actually retard microbial growth. Scientists at Cornell University found that allspice and oregano (as well as onions and garlic) killed 100 percent of bacteria they came in contact with, while thyme, cinnamon, cumin and tarragon killed 80 percent of bacteria [source: Cornell Chronicle].
Turmeric, an essential ingredient in curry, is widely known as a rock star of the spice world, thanks to both its bold flavor and antibacterial properties [source: Turmeric for Health]. The spice owes its "oomph" to the essential component curcumin, which research has shown to aid all stages of wound healing. As if that's not enough, curcumin is a known anti-cancer agent, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, to name a few [source: Akbik et al.]. Pretty impressive for a simple yellow powder!
Author's Note: 10 Foods That Contain Antibiotics
When one of my kids has strep throat I'm all about the antibiotics. In my food? Not so much, unless they are natural. I've been trending toward being more of a label reader in recent years, so I'll continue to keep a sharp eye on certain products. On the flip side, it's nice to know that some foods are actually not out to get me. Thank you, mushrooms!
- Akbik, D, Ghadiri, M, Chrzanowski W, Rohanizadeh R. "Curcumin as a wound healing agent." PubMed. Sept. 6, 2014 (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25200875
- Alvez, MJ, Ferreira IC, Dias J, Teixeira V, Martins A, Pintado M. "A review of antimicrobial activity of mushroom isolated extracts and compounds." PubMed. Nov. 2012 (Oct. 12, 2014) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23023950
- Azzouz, A, Jurado-Sanches B, Souhail B, Ballesteros E. "Simultaneous determination of 20..." PubMed. May 11, 2011 (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21469656
- Banzer, Melanie. "How to treat masititis naturally." Natural News. Jan. 28, 2012 (Oct. 21, 2014) http://www.naturalnews.com/034792_mastitis_breastfeeding_natural_remedies.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals." Sept. 4, 2014 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.cdc.gov/narms/animals.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "Raw Milk Questions and Answers." Feb. 28, 2013 (Oct. 12, 2014) http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html#rawmilk
- Charles, Dan. "Europe's Mixed Record on Animal Antibiotics." NPR. March 23, 2012 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/03/23/149221287/europes-mixed-record-on-animal-antibiotics
- Daily Health Post. "Natural Immunity: 8 Natural Antibiotics to Replace the Pharmaceuticals for Good." Dec. 2, 2013 (Oct. 15, 2014) http://dailyhealthpost.com/natural-immunity-8-natural-antibiotics-to-replace-the-pharmaceuticals-for-good/
- Food Babe. "Is Butter Secretly Ruining Your Health?" Jan. 20, 2014 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://foodbabe.com/2014/01/20/is-butter-secretly-ruining-your-health/
- Hafidh, Rand R, Abdulamire, Ahmed S, Se Vern, Law, Bakar, Fatimah Abu, Abas, Faridah, Jahanshiri, Fatemeh, Sekawi, Zamberi. "Inhibition of Growth..." PubMed. Aug. 16, 2011 (Oct. 15, 2014) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171003/
- Katz, David M.D. Telephone interview. Oct. 15, 2014.
- Kim, JD. "Anti-bacterial action of onion extracts against oral pathogenic bacteria." PubMed. Sept. 1997 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9354029
- Kwakman, PHS, te Velde AA, de Boer L, Speijer D, Vandenbroucke-Grauls, CMJE, Zaat SAJ. "How honey kills bacteria." The FASEB Journal. 2010 (Oct. 21, 2014) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630111037.htm
- MedlinePlus. "Antibiotics." Aug. 25, 2014 (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/antibiotics.html
- MedlinePlus. "Garlic." Sept. 8, 2014 (Oct. 15, 2014) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/300.html
- Mercola. "Eat Mushrooms During Winter to Radically Reduce Your Risk of the Cold and Flu." Dec, 31, 2011 (Oct. 21, 2014) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630111037.htm
- Munro, Margaret. "Canada phasing out antibiotic use in livestock." Canada.com. April 11, 2014 (Oct. 21, 2014) http://o.canada.com/uncategorized/canada-phasing-out-antibiotic-use-in-livestock
- Neuman, William. "F.D.A and Dairy Industry Spar Over Testing of Milk." The New York Times. Jan. 25, 2011 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/business/26milk.html?_r=1&
- NYU Langone Medical Center. "Garlic." 2014 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21729
- PBS. "Antibiotic Debate Overview." 2014 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/safe/overview.html
- Quigley, Delia. "30 Foods & Herbs With Natural Antibiotic Properties." Care2. Sept. 19, 2013 (Oct. 13, 2014) http://www.care2.com/greenliving/common-foods-herbs-with-antibiotic-properties.html
- Schueller, Greta H. "Antibiotic-Free Food Labels to Look For." Eating Well. 2014 (Oct. 12, 2014) http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_origins/organic_natural/antibiotic_free_food_labels_to_look_for
- Sivam, GP, Lampe JW, Ulness B, Swanzy SR, Potter JD. "Helicobacter pylori—in vitro susceptibility to garlic." PubMed. 1997 (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Fred+Hutchinson+Cancer+Research+Center++garlic+h.+pylori
- Turmeric for Health. "Turmeric and MRSA Infection." 2014 (Oct. 15, 2014) http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-and-mrsa-infection
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). "Phasing Out Certain Antibiotic Use in Farm Animals." Dec. 13, 2013 (Oct. 21, 2014) http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm378100.htm
- Williams, David M.D. "Natural Treatments and Remedies for Stomach Ulcers." Feb. 6, 2014 (Oct. 14, 2014) http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/ulcer-natural-treatments/
- Williams, J.E. "Top 5 Medicinal Mushrooms." RenegadeHealth. June 21, 2013 (Oct. 15, 2014) http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2013/06/21/top-five-medicinal-mushrooms
Fresh fish is full of good nutrients. But sushi can be good or bad depending on what you order. HowStuffWorks breaks it down.