There are essentially two ways to achieve the desired sweetness in a wine: One is to use a strain of yeast that will stop reproducing when the wine reaches a certain alcohol content, leaving any unfermented sugars to sweeten the wine. The other is to ferment the wine completely (allowing the yeast to consume all sugars), then sweeten the wine with sugar or another sweetener. Sweeteners come in the form of simple syrup (sugar dissolved in water), fruit juices and juice concentrates made from grapes and other fruits, and even honey. Typically a stabilizer such as potassium sorbate or sorbic acid is added at the same time as the sweetener to prevent any remaining yeast from converting the extra sugar into more alcohol.
- Breton, Felicien. "Organic wines may contain sulfites." French Scout. (July 5, 2011) http://www.frenchscout.com/organic-wines
- Chorniak, Jeff. "A Clearer Understanding of Fining Agents." WineMaker Magazine. Oct./Nov. 2007. (July 5, 2011) http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/12-clarityfiltration/26-a-clearer-understanding-of-fining-agents
- Cutler, Lance. "Industry Roundtable: Wine Additives." Wine Business Monthly. Oct. 15, 2007. (June 23, 2011) http://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=getArticle&dataId=51350
- Feiring, Alice. "Approved Wine Additives." The Feiring Line. Nov. 16, 2010. (July 5, 2011) http://www.alicefeiring.com/blog/2010/11/-approved-wine-additives.html
- Grapestompers. " Descriptions of Winemaking Chemicals and Additives." (June 23, 2011) http://www.grapestompers.com/description_chem.htm
- More Than Organic. "Wine additives." (June 23, 2011) http://www.morethanorganic.com/additives-in-wine
- Pitcher, Steve. "How to Taste Wine." HowStuffWorks.com. May 22, 2006. (July 5, 2011) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/wine/wine-basics-ga5.htm
- Rager, Alberta. "Introduction to Common Wine Additives." Bacchus & Barleycorn. May 14, 2009. (June 23, 2011) http://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=67
- Scott, Ian. "A Haze in Your Wine? Maybe you need Pectic Enzyme." The Home Winery. (June 23, 2011) http://homewinery.info/viewarticle.php?id=69
- Scott, Ian Hugh. "A Quick Guide to Common Wine Additives." Ezine Articles. (June 23, 2011) http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Quick-Guide-to-Common-Wine-Additives&id=2374597
- Shea, Lisa. "Sulfites and Wine." WineIntro.com. (June 30, 2011) http://wineintro.com/glossary/s/sulfites.html
- Wine Definitions.com. "Making Wine: Your First Wine Gallon! Part II." (June 23, 2011) http://www.winedefinitions.com/learningcenter/articles/additiveschemicals.htm#sulfite
How much does the shape of your wineglass really affect the taste of your favorite pinot noir? Probably more than you realize.