Author's Note: How Restaurant Health Inspections Work
I'm not one of those people who pays attention to restaurant inspection scores. I'm much more interested in what's on the menu — and what restaurant critics and public reviewers say about the food — than what's posted in the front window. That said, if you're really curious about how much the management cares about food safety, I think the state of the bathroom speaks volumes. If the boss cares enough to clean the bathroom every hour, that displays a certain attention to detail that likely crosses over into the kitchen. If the bathroom is nasty, who knows what else might be "crossing over" into the kitchen ...
More Great Links
- Chapman, Ben, Associate professor and food safety extension specialist at North Carolina State University. Telephone interview conducted on Aug. 30, 2017
- Florida Department of Business & Profession Regulation. "Division of Hotels and Restaurants Inspection Frequency." (Sept. 25, 2017) http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/hr/inspections/Frequency.html
- FoodSafety.gov. "Safe Minimum Cooking Temperatures." (Sept. 25, 2017) https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html
- Fuchs, A.W. "The U.S. Public Health Service Restaurant Sanitation Program." August 1942. (Sept. 25, 2017) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1527116/pdf/amjphnation00710-0064.pdf
- Hassiotis, Nick, General manager of Foundation Social Eatery. Telephone interview conducted on Sept. 6, 2017.
- Peterson, Alison, Supervisor in the Food Safety and Marijuana Section within the Public Health Inspections Division of the Denver Department of Environmental Health. Telephone interview conducted on Sept. 18, 2017
- Richards, Edward. "The History of Public Health Authority." Louisiana State University Law Center. (Sept. 25, 2017) https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/map/TheHistoryofPublicHealthAuthority.html
- Simmons, Andrew. "Gastronomic Bigotry." Slate. June 6, 2014 (Sept. 25, 2017) http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2014/06/ethnic_restaurants_and_food_poisoning_the_subtle_racism_of_saying_chinese.html
- U.S. Public Health Service and the Food and Drug Administration. "Food Code." 2013. (Sept. 25, 2017) https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/UCM374510.pdf