You've probably already figured that we like to keep beach snacks simple. Nobody wants to put in a lot of work in advance, and nobody wants to deal with containers of food that are going to be magnets for the ever-present sand.
But a fruit salad doesn't have to require a lot of work, and it sure provides a refreshing and healthy treat.
Mix up slices or chunks of pineapple, kiwi, mango, some seedless grapes or whatever else you find. Sweet cherries can be good, too. Then stir in some frozen fruits. Frozen blueberries, strawberries and slices of peach work well here. You may luck into finding some of these fruits fresh and in season. You can freeze those easily. With blueberries, for example, all you have to do is wash them, pick off any bits of stem, put them in a plastic bag and pop them in the freezer.
Pack the salad into small containers and keep those in the cooler or an insulated bag, if you have one. If not, the frozen fruit you mixed in will help keep the whole salad cool for a while.
Remember the spoons, and enjoy!
- American Dietetic Association. "Smart Fruit and Veggie Snacks." (Accessed June 19, 2010)http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6749
- Bauer, Joy. "Beach smarts: Pack healthy foods in your cooler." "Today." (June 21, 2010)http://today.msnbc.com/id/13181795/print/1/displaymode/1098/
- Better Homes and Gardens Fast Fix Family Food. John Wiley and Sons. Hoboken, N.J. 2008.
- Carobini, Julie. "Beach snacks for the whole family." Gold Coast Examiner. April 17, 2010. (June 18, 2010)http://www.examiner.com/x-7841-Gold-Coast-Community-Examiner~y2009m4d17-Beach-snacks-for-the-whole-family
- "Eat Smart North Carolina: Snacks and Drinks." N.C. Division of Public Health pamphlet. Raleigh, N.C. (June 19, 2010)http://www.myeatsmartmovemorenc.com/
- "5 Best Beach Snacks." Woman'sday.com. June 16, 2010. (June 21, 2010)http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Topic/snack_recipes.html
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Snacks: How they fit into your weight-loss plan."http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healty-diet/
- Nissenberg, Sandra, Margaret Bogle and Audrey C. Wright. Quick Meals for Healthy Kids and Busy Parents. John Wiley and Sons. New York. 1995.
- "10 Necessities for the Perfect Beach Lunch." Good Housekeeping. (June 21, 2010)http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/activities/perfect-beach-lunch
- Zuckerbrot, Sandra. "Kid-friendly beach snacks." Skinny and the City. (June 19, 2010)http://www.skinnyandthecity.com/kid-friendly-beach-snacks
Do you know the carbon footprint of that chocolate bar you're craving? Take a look with HowStuffWorks.