Garlic is great, not only for fending off vampires and maybe unwanted dinner guests, but also as a key ingredient in this dressing.
Once you mix everything together, this dressing keeps for up to two weeks, refrigerated in a covered container.
This dressing is packed with nutritional value. Olive oil is one of the MUFAs, or monosaturated fatty acids -- these acids can lower cholesterol and help diabetics control sugar and insulin levels. (Of course, a fat is a fat, so even the good ones need to be consumed in moderation.) Garlic also has antioxidant benefits, and helps in the prevention of blood clots, a problem associated with heart disease and stroke risk. In fact, one clove daily will improve your general health, while two or three help you fight the common cold.
- Benefits of Honey. "Amazing Benefits of Honey."(December 28, 2011). http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/
- Calorie Count. "Whole Buttermilk." (December 30, 2011). http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-purity-dairies-whole-buttermilk-i142894
- Fat Secret. "Nonfat Buttermilk." (December 26, 2011). http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/buttermilk-fluid-nonfat
- Gourmet Sleuth: "Grapeseed Oil."(December 26 2011) http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary/G/Grapeseed-oil-6339.aspx
- Gourmet Sleuth: "Stilton Cheese." (December 26, 2011). http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary/S/Stilton-cheese-5973.aspx
- Hensrud, Donald. Mayo Clinic. "Nutrition and Healthy Eating. (December 28, 2011). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01037
- Honey Health. "Health Benefits of Honey." (December 28, 2011). http://www.honey-health.com/
- The Kitchn. "What is Ponzu?" (December 26, 2011). http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/condiments-dressings/what-is-ponzu--096554
- Lifestyle Lounge. "Health Benefits of Grapeseed Oil." (December 27, 2011). http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/health-benefits-of-grape-seed-oil-9568.html
- Magee, Elaine. "4 Healthy Reasons to Eat a Salad Today." WebMD. June 17, 2008. (December 29, 2011). http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/4-healthy-reasons-eat-salad-today
- Natural Health Remedies. "What are the Health Benefits of Garlic?" December 5, 2007. (December 28, 2011). http://naturalhealthremedies.org/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-garlic/
- Nutrient Facts. "Buttermilk Nutrition Facts." (December 26, 2011). http://www.nutrientfacts.com/FoodPages/nutritionfacts/nutritionfacts_buttermilk.htm
- Pressner, Amanda. Fitness. "10 Surprising Health Benefits of Yogurt." (December 28, 2011). http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/health-benefits-of-yogurt/
- Self. "Nutrition Facts, Balsamic vinegar." (December 27, 2011). http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/9744/2
- Self. "Nutrition Facts, Oil, vegetable, grapeseed." (December 27, 2011). http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/579/2
- SixWise. "The Top 8 Unhealthy Things People Love to Ruin their Salads With." (December 29, 2011). http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/08/30/the-top-8-unhealthy-things-people-love-to-ruin-their-salads-with.htm
- TLC Cooking. "Salad Dressings." (December 26, 2011). https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/salad-dressing-recipes-channel.htm?page=2
Scientists dive into the physics of getting ketchup out of the bottle without making a mess. Learn more about non-Newtonian fluids at HowStuffWorks.