Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Food Tasters Work
I'd love it if a food scientist peered into my husband's mouth. I have a feeling he just may be a 'super taster' -- someone with two or three times the normal number of taste buds. He can discern nuances like oak and vanilla when wine-tasting, and can pick out coconut and lemon in any food, even if it contains just a hint. I thought I had defective taste buds before working on this article. Now I know he likely just has loads more than I do.
- Allen, Peter. "Paranoid Putin has every meal tested for poison by qualified food tasters, claims former chef." The Daily Mail. July 24, 2012. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178336/Vladimir-Putin-President-meal-tested-poison-qualified-food-tasters-claims-chef.html
- Amira, Dan. "Walter Scheib, Former White House Chef for Clinton and Bush, Defends Presidential Food Tasters." Daily Intelligencer. March 19, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/03/obama-food-taster-walter-scheib-president.html
- Ben & Jerry's. "Meet Our Flavor Gurus." (Nov. 25, 2014) http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/flavor-gurus
- Dang, Mike. "What It's Like to Work as a Professional Frozen Food Taster." The Billfold. March 25, 2014. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://thebillfold.com/2014/03/what-its-like-to-work-as-a-professional-frozen-food-taster/
- Donaldson-Evans, Catherine. "Professional Tasters Eat and Drink for a Living." Fox News. Jan. 13, 2004. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/01/13/professional-tasters-eat-and-drink-for-living/
- Howcast. "How to Be a Professional Food Taster." (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.howcast.com/videos/432523-How-to-Be-a-Professional-Food-Taster
- Inside Jobs. "Pet Food Tester." (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.insidejobs.com/careers/pet-food-tester
- Inside Jobs. "Professional Taster." (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.insidejobs.com/careers/professional-taster
- Luthern, Ashley. "Testing for Poison Still a Profession for Some." Smithsonian. June 26, 2009. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/testing-for-poison-still-a-profession-for-some-61805292/?no-ist
- Maurer, Daniel. "So You Want to Be a Professional Food Taster." Grub Street. Jan. 6, 2011. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.grubstreet.com/2011/01/so_you_want_to_be_a_profession.html
- MMR Research. "Careers at MMR." (Nov. 25, 2014) http://www.mmr-research.com/careers
- My Majors. Food Taster Career. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.mymajors.com/career/food-taster/
- Nania, Rachel. "Role of a food taster outside the White House." WTOP. Sept. 22, 2014. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.wtop.com/41/3706519/Role-of-a-food-taster-outside-the-White-House-
- Saelinger, Tracy. "The truth about being a taste tester: It's not always tasty." Today. Feb.19, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2014) http://www.today.com/food/truth-about-being-taste-tester-its-not-always-tasty-1C8427211
- The Schwan Food Company. "Become a Taste Tester." (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.schwanstastetesting.com/learnmore.htm
- United States Department of Labor. "Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2013: 19-1012 Food Scientists and Technologists." (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes191012.htm
Food taster FAQ
What is a professional taster?
What does a food taster do?
How do I become a food taster?
What education do you need to be a food taster?
How much do food tasters make?
Explore More HowStuffWorks: