You can tinker around with other cupcake flavors, and while they all have merit, there's no beating chocolate when you want to sate your sweet tooth. Even though this recipe uses only cocoa powder for its flavor hit, it's a lot lower in fat than traditional chocolate cupcakes while still being a rich, satisfying treat. You could decrease the calorie count even more by using sugar substitute blend for half the sugar, but we think it's pretty good as is.
- Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, 11th Edition. "Emergency Substitutions." Meredith Corporation. 1996.
- Eating Well. "Test Kitchen Secrets: How to Bake a Healthier Cupcake." (Dec. 13, 2011) http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/kids_cooking/test_kitchen_secrets_how_to_bake_a_healthier_cupcake
- Fry, Sidney. "Recipe Makeover: Carrot Cake." Cooking Light. (Dec. 13, 2011) http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/recipe-makeovers/healthy-carrot-cake-recipe-makeover-00412000070625/
- Gracious Pantry. "Clean Eating Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Pumpkin Icing." Oct. 25, 2010. (Dec. 13, 2011) http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-pumpkin-cupcakes/
- Malcoun, Carolyn. "Do you know how many calories are in your cupcake? Eating Well. May 13, 2011. (Dec. 13, 2011) http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/healthy_cooking_blog/do_you_know_how_many_calories_are_in_your_cupcake
- NPR. "A Renaissance for Cupcakes?" Sept. 13, 2009. (Dec. 13, 2011) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112797912
- Skinny Taste. "Sweet Light Angel Foods Cupcakes with Meringue Icing." May 5, 2011. (Dec. 13, 2011) http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/sweet-light-angel-food-cupcakes-with.html
- Tse, Tiffany. "The Best Healthy Cupcakes We've Ever Seen!" (Dec. 13, 2011) http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-recipes/best-healthy-cupcakes-weve-ever-seen
The Shamrock Shake is legendary at McDonald's and now it's celebrating 50 years. We're spilling everything to know about this fab milkshake.