Forget the fads -- chocolate and vanilla cupcakes are timeless. These scrumptious desserts combine the two most essential sweet tastes into an unbeatable concoction that's always in style. You can find chocolate and vanilla cupcakes everywhere from the trendiest cupcake shops to elementary school cafeterias.
Chocolate and vanilla cupcakes might only consist of two flavors, but they've got countless variations. A light vanilla cake with dark chocolate frosting provides an entirely different taste from a milk chocolate cake slathered with creamy vanilla icing.
You can't go wrong with these two classic flavors, regardless if you're mixing up a batch straight out of a box or are about to devour a carefully concocted treat made from the finest ingredients.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Christie, Raquel. "Crowe, Kerry, Nostalgia Boost Sales as Cupcake Orgy Hits D.C." Bloomberg. Sept. 8, 2009. (Sept. 23, 2009).http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601093&sid=asBEtN_8hyho
- Crumbs Bake Shop. "Cupcakes." 2009. (Sept. 23, 2009).http://www.crumbs.com/cupcakes
- Cupcake. "Flavors." 2009. (Sept. 24, 2009).http://www.freshcupcakes.com/FAQs.html
- Cupcakes Take the Cake. "Cupcake Bakery Owner Interview: Daniellan Louie of Ivy Bakery." March 23, 2006. (Sept. 29, 2009).http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2006/03/cupcake-bakery-owner-interview.html
- Davidson, Allen. "Oxford Companion to Food." 2006. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Everyday Food. "Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing." MarthaStewart.com. 2009. (Sept. 25, 2009).http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/carrot-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-icing
- History Channel. "Halloween Pumpkin Trivia." 2008. (Sept. 24, 2009).http://www.history.com/content/halloween/the-jack-o-lantern/pumpkin-trivia
- Ivy Bakery. "Product: Cakes: Cupcakes." 2007. (Sept. 23, 2009).http://www.ivybakery.com/
- Jaworski, Stephanie. "Carrot Cupcakes Recipe." 2009. (Sept. 25, 2009).http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotCupcake.html
- Mikles, Natalie. "Economy Doesn't Sour Cupcake, Pastry Market." Tulsa World. Sept. 23, 2009. (Sept. 23, 2009).http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectID=39&articleID=20090923_39_D1_Doreen733267
- Sprinkles Cupcakes. "Cupcake Flavors." 2009. (Sept. 23, 2009).http://www.sprinkles.com/flavors.html
- Sussman, Anna Louie. "Yes, We Speak Cupcake." NYTimes. Sept. 22, 2009. (Sept. 23, 2009).http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/dining/23cake.html?_r=1&hpw
- Two Fat Cats Bakery. "Menu: Cupcakes." 2009. (Sept. 23, 2009).http://www.twofatcatsbakery.com/
It's a pie. Filled with squash. Who in the world decided that was a good idea? HowStuffWorks slices and dices the history of the pumpkin pie.