Widely considered one of the world's oldest condiments, soy sauce is a fermented soy bean product. It was probably first discovered more than 3,500 years ago in China as part of the process of preserving fish. It's used in seafood, meat and vegetable dishes and as a base for other sauces, like teriyaki. It may also be the precursor of the ketchup we know and love today.
Soy sauce is available in a number of varieties: light, dark, low-sodium and blended. Blended soy-based sauces incorporate other Asian herbs and spices, like garlic, five-spice powder and ginger for added flavor.
- Davidson, Alan. "The Oxford Companion to Food." Oxford University Press. 1999.
- Fong, Nathan. "The Chinese Pantry." 2011. (Dec. 22, 2011). http://www.cookinglight.com/food/world-cuisine/chinese-pantry-00400000037997/page7.html
- Eating Well. "Broccoli With Black Bean and Garlic Sauce." Winter 2004. (Dec. 22, 2011). http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/broccoli_with_black_bean_garlic_sauce.html
- Kew. "Plant Cultures: Ginger - History." (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.kew.org/plant-cultures/plants/ginger_history.html
- Miller, Gloria Bley. "The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook." Simon & Schuster. 1994.
- Ng, Diana. "10 Must-Have Sauces and Spices for Your Chinese Food Feast." Canadian Living. 2011. (Jan. 10, 2010) http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/10_must_have_sauces_and_spices_for_your_chinese_food_feast.php
- Reusing, Andrea. "Green Beans in XO Sauce." Food & Wine. 2011. (Dec. 22, 2011). http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/green-beans-in-xo-sauce
- Sauce Recipes. "XO Sauce." 2011. (Dec. 22, 2011). http://saucerecipes.tv/xo-sauce/
- The Epicentre. "Chinese Five Spice." 2006. (Jan. 9, 2010). http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/chinesefivespice.html
- Umami Information Center. "What is Umami." 2011. (Jan. 13, 2010). http://www.umamiinfo.com/what_exactly_is_umami?/
- Yan, Martin. "Chinese Herbs and Spices." Dummies. 2011. (Jan. 8, 2010). http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/chinese-herbs-and-spices.navId-323343.html
HowStuffWorks looks at the real health benefits of turmeric according to science.