How to Cook Tomatoes
Peeling a Tomato
Many recipes ask you to peel a tomato, but it is not as simple as peeling an apple.
- Cut skin-deep "X" on bottom of each tomato. Place no more than 2 tomatoes at a time in saucepan of simmering water for 10 seconds.
- Remove with slotted spoon; plunge immediately into bowl of cold water for another 10 seconds.
- Remove loosened peel with paring knife.
Remove loosened peel with paring knife.
The name says it all. Sun-dried are usually Roma tomatoes that have been left out in the sun until most of their water evaporates.
- Spray blade of chef's knife with nonstick cooking spray.
Spray the blade of your knife with
nonstick cooking spry to ensure
an even cut.
- Arrange sun-dried tomatoes in single layer on cutting board.
- Cut tomatoes into strips. Line up strips and cut crosswise into pieces of desired size. Spray knife as needed to prevent sticking.
Cut the tomatoes into strips
and then cut the strips crosswise.
Next to peeling, the other maddening tomato preparation that most recipes call for is seeding.
- Cut tomato into halves. Remove stem. Scrape out seeds with spoon.
Half the tomato and then scoop
the seeds out with a spoon.
- Alternate Method: Cut an "X" in the bottom of tomato. Hold tomato over bowl, sliced side down, and squeeze to remove seeds.
You can also remove the seeds by
squeezing the tomato as you
would a lemon.
Learn all about the cucumber in the next section.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Vegetable Recipes: Both tasty and good for you, vegetables are a great vehicle to try out new seasonings and cooking methods. Find plenty of ideas on our Vegetable Recipes page.
- Grilling Vegetables: Grilling vegetables is not only easy but it also produces a rich tasting, healthy treat. Learn how to grill vegetables in this article.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.
- How to Cut and Slice Onions
- How to Cut and Slice Peppers
- How to Cook Parsnips
See more »
- How to Cut and Slice Beets
- How to Cut and Slice Shallots
- How to Cut and Slice Cabbage
- How to Cook Kale
- How to Prepare Spinach
- How to Cook Tomatoes
- How to Seed Cucumbers
- How to Dice Zucchini
- How to Cook Corn
- Cooking Eggplant
- How to Cook Squash
- How to Cook Green Beans
- How to Cook Lima Beans
- How to Cook Asparagus
- How to Cook Black-Eyed Peas
- Cooking Peas
- Steaming Broccoli
- How to Cook Cauliflower
- Vegetable-Cooking Chart
- See all Cooking How-to articles