Availability: August and September.
Buying Guide: Look for green, shiny, and pliable pods; beans should fill pods well. Avoid pods with signs of drying. Half the weight (the shell) is waste. Although yields vary according to size of bean, 1 pound when shelled will measure 1 to 2 cups of beans. Buy plump shelled beans with green to greenish-white skins.
Storage: Refrigerate pods in a perforated plastic bag up to 3 days. Use as soon as possible since flavor is best when fresh. Shell just before using.
History: Lima beans were named for the capital of Peru, the country which they originated. Also called "butter beans," limas come in many sizes. Young lima beans are interchangeable with fresh fava beans, cowpeas, and shelling beans in recipes.
- To shell beans, open pods at seams by pinching pods between thumbs and forefingers.
Pinch the pod between your
fingers and pry it open.
- Remove beans; discard shells.
Remove the beans and
discard the shells.
Learn how to cook asparagus in the next section.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Vegetable Recipes: Both tasty and good for you, vegetables are a great vehicle to try out new seasonings and cooking methods. Find plenty of ideas on our Vegetable Recipes page.
- Grilling Vegetables: Grilling vegetables is not only easy but it also produces a rich tasting, healthy treat. Learn how to grill vegetables in this article.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.