Peas are a sweet, tender vegetable that, when cooked properly, are a real treat.
Preparing English (Green) Peas
- To prepare peas, press each pea pod between thumbs and forefingers to open.
Pry the peapod apart with
your thumb and forefinger.
- Push peas out with thumb into colander; discard pods. Rinse peas under running water. Drain well.
Rinse off the peas under
cold, running water.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat until melted and bubbly. Cook and stir peas in hot butter for 5 minutes or until crisp and tender.
Snow-pea pods are edible, much like green beans. They are slightly sweet and have thin, soft pods.
Availability: All year; peak fall and spring.
Buying Guide: Look for bright green pods that are firm, crisp, small, and flat with immature seeds. Avoid peas that are drying along the seam.
Storage: Refrigerate, unwashed, in a plastic bag up to 2 days.
History: The snow or Chinese pea pod originated in Holland. Its pod is edible. When crossed with the English pea in 1979, the sugar snap pea was perfected.
- To de-stem peas decoratively, pinch off stem end from each pod, pulling strings down the pod to remove if present. (Young tender pods may have no strings.)
Pinch off the stem end of each pod
and remove any excess strings.
- Make a "V-shaped" cut at opposite end of pod with utility knife.
Use knife to make a "V-shaped"
cut at opposite end of pod.
- To stir-fry, place wok or large skillet over high heat. (Test hot pan by adding drop of water to pan; if water sizzles, pan is sufficiently hot.) Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Heat oil until hot, about 30 seconds. Briskly toss and stir with wok utensil or spoon, keeping vegetables in constant motion about 4 minutes or until peas are bright green and crisp-tender.
Keep the vegetables in constant
motion as you cook them.
In the next section, we will address how to best prepare broccoli.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Vegetable Recipes: Both tasty and good for you, vegetables are a great vehicle to try out new seasonings and cooking methods. Find plenty of ideas on our Vegetable Recipes page.
- Grilling Vegetables: Grilling vegetables is not only easy but it also produces a rich tasting, healthy treat. Learn how to grill vegetables in this article.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.