Getting Away from Granulated Sugar
Just about everyone loves sugar. These sweet little crystals come primarily from sugarcane, though they're sometimes extracted from sugar beets. Sugar can be difficult to get away from if you have a sweet tooth, as most desserts and baked goods include it to some extent.
Of course, if you're out of granulated sugar, there are other options. Like flour, there are many different varieties of sugar, and some of them are interchangeable. Date, castor and turbinado sugar will all work in recipes that call for granulated sugar, though the end product might be altered slightly in color, moisture and sweetness.
Sugar substitutes, such as Splenda, can replace sugar in recipes, but your final product will have a distinctive aftertaste and browning will not occur. If you want a more natural-looking product with an authentic taste, try using half sugar and half sugar substitute -- you'll still cut calories and maintain good flavor.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Adams, Mike. "Chocolate is Actually Good for You, if Used in Moderation, Says New Study." Natural News. April 7, 2009. (Aug. 1, 2009).http://www.naturalnews.com/006556.html
- Blood Pressure Association. "Salt's Effects on Your Body." 2008. (Aug. 1, 2009).http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/microsites/salt/Home/Whysaltisbad/Saltseffects
- Ellis-Christensen, Tricia. "What is Sour Cream?" wiseGEEK. 2009. (Aug. 3, 2009).http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sour-cream.htm
- Gilbert, Linda. "Oregano…or is It Marjoram?" Sally's Place. 2009. (Aug. 3, 2009).http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/columns/gilbert/oregano.htm
- GourmetSleuth. "Nonalcoholic Substitutes for Wines, Sprits and Liqueurs." 2008. (July 31, 2009).http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/alcoholsubstitutes.htm
- I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (Spray). "Nutrition Facts." Unilever, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Joachim, David. "The Food Substitutions Bible." 2005. Robert Rose, Toronto, Canada.
- Kaminsky A. "What are Some Recipe Substitutions?" wiseGEEK. 2009. (Aug. 1, 2009).http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-recipe-substitutions.htm
- Pollick, Michael. "Can I Use Carob as a Substitute for Chocolate?" wiseGEEK. 2009. (Aug. 1, 2009). http://www.wisegeek.com/can-i-use-carob-as-a-substitute-for-chocolate.htm
- Smith, S. E. "What is Kecap?" wiseGEEK. 2009. (Aug. 3, 2009). http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kecap.htm
Lox, gravlax and nova are all different preparations of salmon. HowStuffWorks breaks down which is which and their similarities and differences.