How to Cook Squash
While it does take some work to prepare squash, its versatility within recipes is worth the extra effort.
Preparing Butternut Squash
Butternut squash is a winter squash. Pick squashes in the fall when they are mature.
- Remove skin from squash with a vegetable peeler or utility knife. Use short, strong strokes, because the waxy skin is very tough and hard.
Use short, long strokes to remove the skin.
- Trim off stem with chef's knife.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds with a spoon; discard
Scoop the seeds out of the
squash and discard them.
- Cut squash into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat; add squash.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until squash is fork-tender. Transfer squash to serving bowl with slotted spoon.
This is another winter squash, known for its stringy, yellow flesh.
- To bake squash, pierce in several places with cooking fork to vent steam.
Pierce the skin of the squash to create
vent holes for escaping steam.
- Place squash in large foil-lined baking dish; bake 20 minutes at 375°F.
- Turn squash upside down; cook 25 minutes more or until easily depressed with finger. (Larger squash may take longer to cook.) Cut in half immediately to stop cooking.
Cook the squash until it
yields easily to the touch.
- Scoop out seeds; discard.
- To remove spaghetti strands from squash, "comb" through pulp with two forks. Transfer to a warm serving platters and serve with butter and grated cheese or your favorite sauce.
Next, we will dip into the legume family by learning about green beans.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Vegetable Recipes: Both tasty and good for you, vegetables are a great vehicle to try out new seasonings and cooking methods. Find plenty of ideas on our Vegetable Recipes page.
- Grilling Vegetables: Grilling vegetables is not only easy but it also produces a rich tasting, healthy treat. Learn how to grill vegetables in this article.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.