How to Cut and Slice Onions
- Peel skin. Cut onion in half through the root with utility knife. Place onion half, cut side down, on cutting board.
- Holding knife horizontally, make cuts in onion parallel to board, almost to root end. Cut onion vertically into thin slices, holding onion with fingers to keep its shape.
- Turn onion and cut crosswise to root end. (The closer the cuts are spaced, the finer the onion will be chopped.) Repeat with remaining onion half.
Cut the onion crosswise to the root end.
Using a food processor to chop onions will not only save you time, but it can also cut down on the irritating, tear producing, vapors.
- Peel and quarter onion; place in bowl.
- Pulse 4 to 7 times until onion is finely chopped.
- Scrape bowl once during chopping.
Scrape bowl once during chopping.
- Chop enough onion to measure 1/2 cup. Drain onions, if needed.
Preparing peppers can take a little practice. Find some helpful techniques on the next page.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Vegetable Recipes: Both tasty and good for you, vegetables are a great vehicle to try out new seasonings and cooking methods. Find plenty of ideas on our Vegetable Recipes page.
- Grilling Vegetables: Grilling vegetables is not only easy but it also produces a rich tasting, healthy treat. Learn how to grill vegetables in this article.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.